Saturday, August 4, 2012

Review: Fever by Lauren DeStefano


MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS

Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.

In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.

Review:

This review is going to be a bit short. Not as long as any of my other ones, but not a mini review.
I have to say, I'm disappointed. This book was boring. During summer, I try to get as many books done as I can; usually knocking off two in a week or so. This one took me a week and a half. It doesn't help that I had to work a lot, but that wasn't a major factor in this book. Every time I picked it up to finish it, I was hoping it would get better. No more long paragraphs on Rhine's thoughts. No more random things happening. I was getting bored. I procrastinated on finishing it because it was boring.

Fever was one of those books were it's exciting in the beginning, boring in the middle, and BAM exciting again at the end. I was relieved to reach the end. I was upset about what happened to Rowan, and I thought what he did and what happened to him was a good part of the book. He's one thing that's going to make me read Sever. But the one thing that made me dislike this book was Rhine. I felt like she didn't change at all, that she was still the same girl trying to save everyone when she couldn't get it in her head that something was wrong. She annoyed me greatly. Vaughn had more to him than her! And he's the evil one! (I still hate him though.)

Gabriel. Still like him, but let me tell you something. After I posted my review for Wither, I got three comments. One of those comments made me look at Gabriel differently, and I have to say, I agree. Gabriel is like an unwanted love interest, there but not there. Sure, I loved that they still cared for each other, but with everything going on, I felt that their romance should have been more.

The ending, as I said before, is what's going to make me want to read Sever. If you look at the covers, you can see that in Sever that Rhine looks 100% healthier than she has in any of the other two books. My curiosity for how the cure is found is what going to make me finish this series. And sure, my review might not be the most positive one, but dont' let that stop you from reading the series. (Unless you don't like the show Sister Wives from TLC. Then I don't recommend you read it. Even though I did and I hate that show. I was curious!)

Rating & Ending:

Cover:
You got to admit, the cover is pretty cool. Rhine looks like she has a high fever; the card represents the game Vaughn is playing with her; and the ring that she still wears is a constant reminder of her tie to Linden and her life as his wife.


One more thing:
Anyone who has the ARC of this book have three pages just fall out of it? Mine did! I was pissed. Just warning you now.

*Won this book. No review necessary.

Keep On Reading!

Up Next:

0 comments:

Post a Comment