Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dystopian April #5: Pandemonium



WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS


I'm pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.

Review:
Okay, first of all, let me just start out by saying this book was incredible. I loved it. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. The tension and the suspene was there from the middle to the end. The beginning the soft recovering Lena goes through was just right. GOD! I dont' like it that I have to wait forever for the last one!

Okay, so, the book takes place six months after Lena escaped Portland. Now you're wondering what happened in those six months? Well, in the book, for the most of it, it goes back and forth between Now and Then. Then being when Lena was in the Wilds recovering and trying to put herself back together. Now being the six months later and Lena's in New York on an undercover mission. I personally like it when there's flashback in a book. It gives more background information about what happened in the past and what didn't.

In the book, we get introducted to a new set of Invalids, the Scavengers, and a new organization, the Deliria-Free Americ, or DFA. The Scavengers want the cure completely gone. The DFA want the cure done even earlier. They use Thomas Fineman's, the leader, son, Julian, as an example on why because he's dying of a tumor in his brain. They say the cure will save him. Gah. That's b.s. But later on at the rally, well, something happens and it's kinda obvious if you're extremely smart. After I read, I said to myself "Duh. Why didn't I see this coming?" I really liked what happened, I just hate it how and why Julian and Lena were involved in it.

One thing I was somewhat disappointed in was that I expected there to be much more action. I figured that there be some big rebellion and Lena would be a part of it. Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of action, but it contained a surprise attack and some fighting toward the end. I just wish there was more.

Lena in this book is so different from Delirium. In Delirium, she's the good girl that falls in love and starts taking risks. In Pandemonium, she's fearless, bold, and a good fighter. In the Then chapters, she's very weak, but as she goes through the months trying to gain her strength, she starts to become stronger in mind and body. But despite this, she still has nightmares about Alex, her mom, and some of the other people she left behind, which sometimes comes back to her during the day, making her vulnerable.

Julian. I didn't like him at first because he felt more like a child than a teenager to me. He was molded in to be a perfect child. He didn't know how Lena would act or what to do if and when they got free from their prison. Afterwards, when Lena starts getting weak a bit, he does start acting like his age and helping her and talking to others. But I think it's mostly because he's never been around girls that I thought he acted like a child. But due to his curiosity and his newness to Love, he starts to fall for Lena.

Speaking of falling, I hate it that Alex was not in the book. Well, he was, but in spirit. I will say that Lena thought he was dead since she hear no word about him from the beginning, leaving her cause to fall for another. BUT IT SUCKS! I loved Alex. And I feel that Lena just kinda forgot about Alex and moved on to Julian, who I don't think they should be 'in love' because they didn't know each other for that long. I think they just both wanted to feel again. But what happens at the end. I hated it!

The rest of the characters were very well developed, each with their own story and personality. I hated Raven's back story. It was so sad. And what happened to her later on in the book got me so frustrated! I wanted to punch something. And then there was the surprise near the end of the book with a character you wouldn't have thought was still alive. I was like "No way. This can't be." It was amazing!

Wish Alex was in this book more.

Future: One more. That's depressing just thinking about it.

Quotes:

Dialogue between Julian and Lena on page 300. Some parts were left out.

"What does it feel like to be infected?"
"I--I can't describe it."
"I want to know." His words are a whisper, barely audible. "I want to know with you."

"Don't believe her." Page. 175. Read it and you'll understand.


This book had me sitting on edge the whole time. Suspene, drama, and romance don't lack in this book. Beware for an emotional, action packed ride of your life.


Rating
It was AMAZING! I want to say I couldn't put it down, but my weekend got busy.

Cover:
You can really see the difference in the covers. Lena on Delirium is the good girl, whereas on Pandemonium she's the girl with attitude that will kick butt when needed.

Ending:
(Pardon my language.)
F*** Cliffhangers!


*Won this book.


Keep On Reading!



Up Next:

Like it so far!




1 comments:

  1. I agree. Didn't love that Lena fell in love (or developed feelings, or whatever) with someone else so soon.
    But that was one whopper of a cliffhanger!!

    ReplyDelete