Monday, June 9, 2014

Review: Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks #3) by Miranda Kenneally

Title: Things I Can't Forget
Author: Miranda Kenneally
Series: Yes
Finished or ARC: Finished
Source: Christmas gift. Thank you, Mom!

Goodreads:
Kate has always been the good girl. Too good, according to some people at school—although they have no idea the guilty secret she carries. But this summer, everything is different…

This summer she’s a counselor at Cumberland Creek summer camp, and she wants to put the past behind her. This summer Matt is back as a counselor too. He’s the first guy she ever kissed, and he’s gone from a geeky songwriter who loved The Hardy Boys to a buff lifeguard who loves to flirt--with her.

Kate used to think the world was black and white, right and wrong. Turns out, life isn’t that easy…


Review:
I'm not going to rave on and on about how much I loved this book. yiou can read my reviews of Catching Jordan and Stealing Parker to know how much I love Miranda Kenneally an her books. This book doesn't disappoint.

In the book, Katie is a very religious girl dealing with the gulit of helping a friend get an abortion, and the feelings she has towards Matt, which are a little more intense than she would like. Obviously, she has issues to deal with that really suck. 

In Stealing Parker, Kenneally addressed the issue of people discriminating against gay people and adults having affairs with minors and both affect everyone. She really pushed the issue out there, like she did in Catching Jordan with girls in football. In this book, she pushed the issue of religion and modern relationships to the limit. 

What I mean is that Katie, being very religious, dealing with the way sex is viewed in the world and in relationships and at her age. Today we know many media outlets involve sex somehow, and it affects the youths of today (no, I am not an old middle age adult. I'm 19, but if you heard some of the things I did from kids younger than me, you'd say this too). This means that kids are having sex at a younger age or are doing other stupid things. Katie believes marriage should come before sex and that it should be only a man and woman. She comes around to gay people and their lifestyle, but she struggles with this desire she has for Matt that makes things complicated. He wants to have sex, but she wants to wait, and she struggles to tell him. I feel that there are many woman like that today, even if media doesn't show it. 

One thing I liked a lot about Matt was that he understood Katie's desire to wait and didn't push her. I feel many breakups today involve a girl not wanting to put out. Even though it is fiction, this book could be very real, and it's nice to know that there are guys like Matt out there. 

I was happy in the end. From the beginning, Katie changed a lot and nothing felt fake about the plot. I think everyone should read this, especially young girls. 


Rating:
The Big Kahuna


Cover:
I love how they are holding hands!


0 comments:

Post a Comment