Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Review: Origin (Lux #4) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Origin (Lux #4)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Yes
Finished or ARC: Finished
Source: I think I won this, but then again, it's been awhile since I got it.

GoodreadsDaemon will do anything to get Katy back.
After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he’s facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything becomes about finding her. Taking out anyone who stands in his way? Done. Burning down the whole world to save her? Gladly. Exposing his alien race to the world? With pleasure.

All Katy can do is survive.

Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don’t seem entirely crazy, but the group’s goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen?

Together, they can face anything. 

But the most dangerous foe has been there all along, and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on? 

And will they even be together?

Review:
Like all of Jennifer L. Armentrout's books, Origin is full of kick ass characters, awesome action scenes, hilarious comedy, romance that makes your blood sing, and a hot boy. In Origin, Katy is trapped in Daedalus's labs, forced to do whatever they say to stay alive. Daemon is on the hunt for Katy and rescue her from Daedalus. I was surprised that Daemon's quest to rescue Katy wasn't longer. Sure, we had a few chapters of Katy in the labs, but Daemon's "rescuing" her, as in, just getting to her, wasn't very long. Like maybe two, three chapters. I was expecting some sort of huge obstacle, like Daemon's siblings or Matthew. But nope.

I really admire that Katy didn't crack from all the crap Daedalus made her do. Sure, there were some things I thought she'd crack under, but nope, she stayed strong and powered through it with Daemon. And unlike Beth, she didn't step aside when shit got real and the fighting started. Daemon was just Daemon in all of this. Fighting for who he loves, being a badass, and sassy.

I really liked Asher. At first I thought he was going to become another Blake: an unnecessary love triangle. Thank you Jennifer for not doing that! Asher is serious, but can be funny when the opportunity presents itself. I hated it when he said he has never been to an Olive Garden. That is a scandal in itself! I'm happy that he didn't on Katy. That would have made me hate him.

While the characters are great, and the plot itself is good, there is one thing that you should know before going into this book: it's full of cliches. Like when the bad guys say they aren't "bad", and that the good guys aren't actually "good". Or the classic cliche: the world may end tomorrow, let's do something crazy! (I'm not saying what it is, but think about Vegas.) I didn't like them, but of course, the awesomeness that is Daemon made up for it.

The romance in this book is.....something. While there is sweet moments between Daemon and Katy, there are some of their "moments" that I could have done without all the details...or just without in general. If you've read the book already, then you know what I'm talking about. I get that it does happen with teens theses days (I am still one, and except it from my friends, but still...), but some things don't need to be....as detailed as Daemon's and Katy's was. I'm not saying their sex s was graphic with explicit detail, but there was just enough that I thought it was a bit too much. But you be your own judge.

The ending....CLIFFHANGER! I hated it. Let's put it this way: I wish there was more of an indication on what is going to happen in the next book. Of course, Opposition has already come out, so I need to get it soon.

Rating:

Cover: 
I'm sorry, but as much as I love Daemon, this picture of him sucks. He doesn't look like he's going to kill someone. He looks like he's hungry. And honestly! If you are going to show his abs, don't cover them with a stupid jacket! I also don't like the background. I think there should be more flames if you are going to burn down a city.

0 comments:

Post a Comment