Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Son of Neptune (Part 2) review


*SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ IT*

Goodreads: Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.

Percy is confused. When he awoke from his long sleep, he didn't know much more than his name. His brain fuzz is lingering, even after the wolf Lupa tol him he is a demigod and trained him to fight with the pen/sword in his pocket. Somehow Percy manages to make it to a camp for half-bloods, despite the fact that he has to keep killing monsters along the way. But the camp doesn't ring and bells with him. The only thing he can recall from his past is another name: Annabeth

Hazel is supposed to be dead. When she lived before, she didn't do a very good job of it. Sure, she was an obedient daughter, even when her mother was possessed by greed. But that was the problem - when the Voice took over he mother and commanded Hazel to use her "gift" for and evil purpose, Hazel couldn't say no. Now because of her mistake, the future of the world is at risk. Hazel wished she could ride away from it all on the stallion that appears in her dreams.

Frank is a klutz. His grandmother says he is descended from heroes and can be anything he wants to be, but he doesn't see it. He doesn't even know who his father is. He keeps hoping Apollo will claim him, because the only thing he is good at is archery - although not good enough to win camp war games. His bulky physique makes him feel like an ox, especially infront of Hazel, his closest friend at camp. He trusts her completely - enough to share the secret he holds close to his heart.

Beginning at the "other" camp for half-bloods and extending as far as the land beyond the gods, this breathtaking second installment of the Heroes od Olympus series introduces new demigods, revives fearsome monsters, and features other remarkable creatures, all destined to play a part in the Prophesy of Seven.

Okay, so, I promised two reviews Friday. As i said before, I got distracted. But here's one now.

Plot: LOVED IT! I'm a big fan of Alaska, and thought of it being the "Land beyond the Gods" is actually pretty smart. It's isolated from the rest of the USA, and the Gods rule from the West to the East Coasts. Alaska isn't even part of that. (I wonder if Hawaii is included in this?)
The subplot of Percy getting back his memory was genius in my opinion. I didn't even know Gorgon blood could be used like that. I wonder what they will do with the other vile. Hmm....
One problem/romantic part of the book was Percy and Annabeth. I love it how Rick made it so he remembered her, but I'm not sure how I feel about him thinking so far ahead into their future that he can picture them with kids. I want to say that it was romantic, but also a bit fast. Could be me. Two months for dating and then thinking about that is a little too fast, but of course, Percy was gone a total of eight months.

Characters:
Percy: Still love him. In this book, I feel that he has matured more. He more knowledgable and still the thoughtful guy we know and love.
Hazel: When I first read about HER HORSE on the official website, I thought she was going to be the Daughter of Mars or something since she looked like she was a warrior on that horse of hers. Arion right? Right. Anyway, I felt sorry for her. All those flashbacks, and the fact she didn't get to be with Sammy. But I love her courage and wit when she's with the Amazons. Down part of her, I'm not sure how I like it that she's thirteen. Sure, Romans start off young, but her personality seems more older than that. But of course, the Underworld does change you.
Frank: I LOVE HIM! HE'S CHINESE LIKE ME! No, seriously, he is. At first, when you looked at his picture on the website, Apollo is the first think in probably everyone's mind. The bow and arrow give a huge lead-on to his Godly parent. But nope. I just can't believe who it actually is. I would have ever have guess it. Now his ability/gift: amazing. I want his gift. I'm not saying what it is, but if you looked at the picture of him, you might be able to guess.
The fact he likes Hazel is cute. And they do make a cute couple. I just wished he saw that in the beginning of the book.
NOTE: His heritage (besides being Chinese AND Canadian) will shock you. I mean, I was shocked too.
Others:
Ella: Harpy with a smart brain. Wish I had it.
Reyna: Really, really scary but nice. I feel sorry for her in a way. She likes Jason. He disappears. Once she learns about him and Piper. War goddess child + love goddess = not good.
Octavian: Hate him. Period.
Lupa: I'm disappointed that I don't get to see more of her in this book. I know she trains the Roman demigods, but that's it. It would have been nice to see her as the big boss at the Camp/City.
Terminus: Crazy OCD God of Boarders.
Amazons: Brave and strong warriors. Very loyal (depending on who is on the throne). That reminds me, I feel sorry for Reyna and her sister Hyalla. Captured by pirates after they destroyed their home. But they made it out alive.
Arion: Hazel's pretty brown cussing horse that escaped with them during the escape from the Amazons. I wonder he was saying when he was cussing. I have a good idea.
Future: I hate it that I have to wait an entire year for "The Mark of Athena", which we all know is about Annabeth and the Doors of Death.
Okay, big spoiler, but with Leo being a reincarnation of Sammy, do you think Hazel will have mixed feelings for him and Frank? I think Leo should at least get a girl to flirt with, like Gwen. But that's it.
Piper, Jason, and Reyna. Who will get him? Usually it's Team Jacob or Team Ash, but this time, it's two girls. I'm for one Team Piper. She got the short end of the stick. The Mist manipulated her feelings and memory. Reyna knew Jason for a while. But then again, she did, and she lost him. That's big. But I'm still Team Piper.

This book.....well, ask anyone (except my smartass friend Ben Ra.) that this book is a must read.

Favorite Quotes
"Anyone got a pen?" Lord Mars. "Two hundred Romans and no one's got a pen? Never mind!" page 148-9
"That was my kid. First over the wall, won the game for his team. Unless you're blind, that was an MVP play. You're not blind, are you?" Lord Mars. pg 150
"Percy imagined what that would be like: getting an apartment in this tiny replica of Rome, protected by the legion and Terminus the OCD border god. He imagined holding hands with Annabeth at a cafe. Maybe when they were older, watching thwir own kid chase seagulls acrosse the forum...." page. 161
"'He just said, "I will trample you to death, silly Chinese Canadian baby man.'" Percy page 341
"Beat that, ya punks!" Arion page 440
"I got a bone to pick with you, Zhang. You can turn in to an eagle? And a bear?" Percy page 471
"'Hazel,' Percy said, 'I am seriously going to wash your horse's mouth with soap. He says, yes, he can pull it, but he needs food.'" page 472


Rating:
5 shells
(smart huh? goes with the theme)
Cover: 5 shells
Ending: 5



Note: I didn't receive this book in exchange for a review. I bought it. AMAZON!





Keep Reading People!






Up next:


Personally, I like the original cover of Wolfsbane. It MATCHES the original one of Nightshade.


0 comments:

Post a Comment