Friday, January 13, 2012

January Mermaids #2: Ripple


*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*

Goodreads: Lexi is cursed with a dark secret. The water calls to her, draws her in, forces her to sing her deadly song to unsuspecting victims. If she succumbs, she kills. If she doesn't, the pain is unbearable. To keep herself and those she cares about safe, she shuts herself off, refusing to make friends or fall in love-again. Because the last time she fell in love with a boy, he ended up dead.
Then Lexi finds herself torn. Against her better judgement, she's opening up agian, falling in love with someone new when she knows she shouldn't. But when she's offered the chance to finally live a normal life, she learns that the price she must pay to be free or her curse is giving him up.

First: I finished this book a while back, but because of all the projects I have, I haven't gotten aroud to reviewing it.
Sorry!

Review:
Okay, What really drew me to this book was the cover. I mean, LOOK AT IT! Hot guy, pretty dress, and mysterious lake in the background. When I read the summary, that gave the book brownie points. Then I read it and I was like:

HOLY CRAP, THIS IS GOOD!

No, seriously. It was. The beginning was my favorite. SPOILER: The beginning is like what you might find in a contemporary novel. Sad feelings, once-friends, that one caring guy. In the beginning, the whole story on how Lexi discovered what she is and what happened the night Steven drowned and the after effects and how everyone hates her and thinks she doesn't care that he's dead when really she visits his grave everyday. Well, it was so emotional, that I NEARLY CRIED. It takes a lot for me to cry, or even to the point of it. The guilt and saddness that Lexi felt was so strong, that I thought she would just opped herself off in the end.
BUT SHE DIDN'T!
The plot of this book was very unique. To me, sirens where mermaids that killed sailors. I liked it how Hubbard kept the fact Lexi was drawn to the sea, and I loved how she had to swim, but I didn't like the effects if she didn't. The back story on how the curse came to be was very clever, but showed how shallow and how low girls would go to get the man they want. And to show how stupid girls can be to trust high classed men who think they can have everything they want.
SPOILER: I'm not sure how I feel about Erik and how he revealed himself and how Lexi told Cole about what happened. I think it might have happened a bit too fast. I think there should have been some dialouge where Cole excepts what Lexi is and he confronts Erik about it. But that's just me.

Characters:
  • Lexi: SPOILER: I liked the concept of her as a siren. Beautiful, alone, and smart. Beautiful because of the curse, alone because she doesn't want to kill anyone again, and smart because she just is. She wants to be a doctor for Christ's sake! :D I didn't like how she offed Cole, but I'm glad she did it to try to break the curse so she could be with him. Her strength to try to fall in love with Erik despite her longing for Cole is inspiring. I have to say, I feel if I was a siren, I'd be like Lexi. And her action scene at the end.....well, I'm not going to say anything but it was KICK ASS!
  • Cole: The Book Boyfriend #4 (I think. Yeah, #4). :D Sweet, kind, and determined. AND ACCEPTING! I loved how despite his three year crush on Lexi, he never went for her because she liked his best friend. And then he still didn't think he could compete with him because she still lovedd him. *Sigh* But the only thing I didn't like about him was that he took the bitch Nikki (or at least I think she is. In the book it's clearly stated that she doesn't like Lexi. I'm guessing it was because she liked Steven too.) to homecoming.
  • Erik: In the beginning, I thought he was really nice. After discovering he was a nyx and could cure Lexi, I really liked him. When he told the story of how nyxes came to be and why he was there, I really really liked him. Then, when I found out what he was after, I really really REALLY hated him. That's all.
  • Sienna: Okay, I get that she's mad in all about her brother's death, but blaming Lexi on it withouth really talking to her about it and just assuming she didnt' try to save him was pretty crappy. The fact she thinks she's the only one that lost something is pretty bitchy of her. SPOILER: Later, when she finds out the Lexi goes to his grave everyday and learns Lexi thinks it was better if everyone hated her, she turns around and starts trying to build up a friendship again. But later, when she learns what really happened, yes, I would be mad too, but I would have listened to Lexi's story and then tried to cool off. But nooo, Sienna blocks her off completely. Least favorite character.
  • Grandma: I have to put her in with the characters. I loved her support of Lexi, wanting her to live her life, get good grades, get into a good college, and to have her friends over. A perfect grandma. :D

Future: I have no clue if there's going to be a sequel. I hope. I think it would be about Sienna getting over Steven's death and trying to make up with Lexi. My guess.
Quotes:
  • "Because you were smiling for him. And I would have had to have been an idiot to get in between taht. And that's why I know whatever you feel for Erik, it's nothing like what you had for Steven. And nothing like what I feel for you." Cole, page 198 *Sigh*
  • "Because even when he was dead, I couldn't compete with Steven." Cole, page 199
Don't you just love Cole?


Rating:
Cover:
Ending:


I won this book in a giveaway thanks to Veronica at Mostly Reviews. :D




Keep On Reading!




Up Next:

Don't just love the tattoos and the scales?! I do. I'm only in Chapter 5 right now because of all the home I had over the week, so this one will take some time. :D

1 comments:

  1. I've heard really good things about this book, and it definitely sounds interesting. I'll have to get it from the library at some point. =)

    ReplyDelete