Sunday, January 1, 2012

Mini Reviews #2: World Above & Winter's Child

 Mini Reviews



Yes, I know I'm breaking my own challenge blogging about two non-mermaid books, but I'm doing it anyway. Just try to stop me. :)P



Goodreads: Free-spirited Grace and serious Kai are the best of friends. They grew up together listening to magical tales spun by Kai's grandmother and sharing in each other's secrets. But when they turn sixteen and Kai declares his love for Grace, everything changes. Grace yearns for freedom and slowly begins to push Kai - and their friendship - away.

Dejected Kai dreams of a dazzling Snow Queen, who entices him to leave home and wander to faraway lands. When Grace discovers Kai is gone, she learns how much she has lost and sets out on a mystical journey to find Kai...and discover herself.
Review: I love the Once Upon a Time books. The retellings of our classic tales are wonderful to read. I found it refreshing not read about a Snow Queen with an icy heart but a girl touched by the Northern Wind.
SPOILER!
The only thing about these novels is that you expect one character to get with a certain character, only to find out they end up with someone else! When I read Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of the Little Mermaid, I was sad that Pearl didn't end up with James, but I'm happy she did end up with the one she loves. I may be giving away something here, but I dont' care. I wish Grace ended up with Kai! But overall, this book didn't disappoint.

Goodreads:
Gen and her twin brother, Jack, were raised with their mother's tales of life in the World Above. Gen is skeptical, but adventureous Jack believes the stories—and trades the family cow for magical beans. Their mother rejoices, knowing they can finally return to their royal home.
When Jack plants the beans and climbs the enchanted stalk, he is captured by the tyrant who now rules the land. Gen sets off to rescue her borther, but danger awaits her in the World Above. For finding Jack may mean losing her heart....
Review: This book didn't disappoint me either. I loved the new tale behind this one. Instead of just Jack, he has a twin! Gentian, Gen for short. She as a heroine in the book was wonderful. Always coming up with a plan. And Jack, wow. That boy has determination.
SPOILER!
I will say this, I'm not sure how I felt about how Dokey incorporated the tale of Robin Hood into the story. Sure, it was a romantic way for Gen to meet her prince charming, but the story is a retelling of Jack and the Bean Stalk, not a retelling of Robin Hood (though a Once Upon a Time retelling about that wouldn't be so bad). But I did like how in the end, it went back to Jack and the Bean Stalk. So, it went like this:

Beginning: Jack and the Bean Stalk
Middle: Robin Hood
Ending: Jack and the Bean Stalk

I did love the story though. Like I said before, Once Upon a Time books never disappoint. :D


Ratings:
Covers:
Endings:


Bought theses on iBooks. :D



Keep On Reading!



Currently reading:


0 comments:

Post a Comment