Saturday, March 31, 2012

Dystopian March #1: Under the Never Sky



*WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS


WORLDS KEPT THEM APART.
DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER.
Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.
Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.
If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.

Review:
This is the first book part of my Dystopian Month. It was suppose to be Cinder, but I don't to do the review without my copy (which was lent to a friend).

Anyway, I really liked this book. Dystopians always have that alluring pull on me. The fact that they take place in a futuristic society might be why. I love it how they give you an idea of what could happen. (Globle Warming ISN'T a myth. The hole in the ozone isn't there for it's health.) Like in the book, we could end up living in Pods with the outside being a baren waste land with freaky storms threatening to kill us all. It's possible, with technology at the rate it's going.

So, in the book, Aria, our heroine, is tossed out of her pod because of information she has on the head honcho's son, Soren, who's a really SOB. He's the definition of a spoiled child. Anyway, without her Smarteye (which is basically a computer that can manipulate your brain to think you are somewhere else and are feeling this certain thing), she's nothing. She revolved around her Smarteye and the Pods. Now, she's out in the "Death Shop" and is ready to die.

This is were our hero comes in. Perry, or Peregrine, got kicked out of his tribe because they believe, mostly their Blood Lord, his brother, Vale, brought the Dwellers (Pod livers) to come and take Talon, his nephew. Well, he's on a quest to save him, and he needs Aria to do it so he can get in and get him. Well, there a few complications.

1: The Coven. Man eating people that go around and.....well, eat people.
2: The Smarteye Perry stole the night Soren attacked Aria doesnt' work.
3: To get to the guy who can fix it, it takes a while to get there. A while as in at least a week.

Well, not to go into too much detail, Perry and Aria meet up with Roar, a friend of Perry, who tells them not so great news. This information isn't forgotten; for in the end, Perry makes a discovery that not only rocks his tribe, but him personally. If I had learned this, I'd be shocked too.

Anyway, plot is awesome. Usually with a dystopian it is. But in this one, I feel that the romance lacked a little. Why? Well, Aria and Perry totally hate each in the beginning and only stay together so Perry can get Talon and Aria can get home. Later on, when they are traveling, Perry, who can smell and hear well, starts to see her as a girl instead of a Mole (a.k.a., Dweller). This causes him to start developing feeling for her, and later falling for her in a short period of time (Gah). Aria, for her, it kinda just clicks on. In most of the book, she shows she cares if he's okay, a little bit of crush, and indifference. In the scene where they finally admitt they like each other a bit more than friends, we finally see them inimate with each other. There's a little bit before that, but not much. It's mostly Perry that we see really fall for Aria. Well, rendering to her. (I really like how that sounds in the book. A unique way of saying 'falling in love'.) Wish we had a bit more from Aria's view.

Speaking of views, I love it how it would switch back and forth between Aria's and Perry's view. Books that do that, I believe, are better books because it's not just one person's eyes we're looking through, but two. We get two perspectives on a situation that can be taken different ways. Plus, it's easier to read the reactions of both of our heroine and hero.

To leave you guys on a little cliffhanger, heres on person who I wish we had more information on in the book: Cinder. Cinder is this little boy who follows the group around. Now, unlike most Outsiders, he doesn't have super hearing, sight, taste, etc. For some reason, he has a different power. And I believe it has to do with the Aether.

I loved this book. It really drew me in and held my attention. Made me smile, made me laugh, made me angry. If anyone is looking for a good book, this is it. The sequel is defintely on my wishlist. :D

Future: Through the Never Sky

Quotes:
Dialogue taken from page 230.
  "Roar leaned across the table and smiled at her seductively, his dark hair falling into his eye. 'When you say everything happens in the Realms, do you mean everything?'
  "Aria laughed nervously. 'Yes. Especially that. There are no risks in the Realms.'
  "Roar's smile widened. 'You smiply think it and it happens? And it actually feels real?'
  "'Why are we talking about this?'
  "'I need a Smarteye,' he said.
  "Perry rolled his eyes. 'There's no way it's the same.'"

When I read that I cracked up laughing.


Rating:

Cover:
I love the colors and the trees in the back. Kinda wild. The only thing stopping it from being a 5 is the girl. She kinda looks bored to me. That or too serious, but with determination.
Ending:
As much as I hate cliffhangers, this one had a good ending.



*Bought myself.



Keep On Reading!



Up Next:

Actually, already started. It's okay. Almost done.
Will get Cinder review up soon!




0 comments:

Post a Comment