Saturday, December 31, 2011

January Mermaids #1: Between the Sea and Sky


*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*

Goodreads: For as long as Esmerine can remember, she has longed to join her older sister, Dosinia, as a siren--the highest calling a mermaid can have. When Dosinia runs away to the mainland, Esmerine is sent to retrieve her. Using magic to transform her tail into legs, she makes her way unsteadily to the capital city. There she comes upon a friend she hasn't seen since childhood--a dashing young man named Alander, who belongs to a winged race of people. As Esmerine and Alander band together to search for Dosinia, they rekindle a friendship . . . and ignite the emotions for a love so great, it cannot be bound by sea, land, or air.


Review: My first thoughts when I saw this book?

I HAVE TO READ THIS!

I have to say, my expectations were somewhat met. I loved how bits and pieces of the actual Little Mermaid story was incorporated into the book, even if it was only a little bit. The story line of the book, it was very, very different. To me, sirens, yes, they call to sailor, but not for a tribute, but for the fun of it. It was refreshing to read their role from Jaclyn's point. But I have to agree with Dosia; the life of a siren does sound boring.

Her setting was amazing to read about. The Islands, the Floating City, and all of the other towns in between. I just wish she would have explored them more then what she just told us.

The winged-people, the Fandarsee, were different. Human except for the fact they have wings and claws for feet, they sound like harppies, except not that evil.

The mermaids, they were just as I thought: nice, easy going creatures. Protective, but I found it amazing that they interact with the humans and the Fandarsee, since throughout history mermaids have been afraid of humans and other creatures. I loved reading this book.

My only disappointment in this book was.....well, I wish there was more to their journey, more  than just what happened. But otherwise, I loved the book.


Characters: 
  • Esmerine: First, her name. I love it. When I looked it up, my research told me it was a French name meaning quiet and sensitive. I quite agree. She is quiet and sensitive, though she is fully prepared to take on what being a siren does mean and what their duties are. Her determination to find her sister and her strength to endure the pain that comes with being on land is inspiring.
  • Alander: Okay, in the beginning, I thought he was a really jerk. Casting Esmerine off as somesort of pest that showed up on his door step, he was just about to let her go and waste her money on some strange inn! But later, after learning about why he was being one, my heart melted. He's so kinda and tolerable. SPOILER: And I love it that his feelings for her never dimished even about several years of separation, and the fact that they are two different races, mermaid and Fandarsee, he still loves her. *Sigh*
  • Dosia (Dosinia): I have to say, I love her personality. Her colorful, sociable nature suits her role in the story perfectly. I have to say, I too was upset at what she did. And right after Esmerine became a siren! I was angry. But after reading her reasoning, I would have too.
  • Swift: I felt for this young Fandarsee. An orphan, lost some fingers, and only has Alander and Belawyn, the owner of the store where Alander works and a very nice lady. But he is kind and caring and willing to help Alan out when needed.
Other Characters: The rest of the cast were splended. They helped move the story along just fine.

Future: Unfortunately, this book was a stand alone. :(  But I have to say, if she were to continue the series, I say it would have to do with Swift and Tormaline (Esmerine's younger sister), since Swift has a thing for her. :D

 
If you haven't read this book yet, you need to. Go pick it up or borrow it from someone. I loved it. :D


 
Rating:
Cover:

Ending:

 

I got this book from my parents for Christmas, and Mom got it from Amazon.

 

Keep On Reading!




Up Next:
Stained
This book is about a boy who was bitten by a zombie and got cured and now dealing with life as an infected. The author, Mike Mauthor, emailed me to review the book. So far, it's pretty good.


This is an ebook I bought on iTunes. So far, chapter 2 and that's it. Liking it so far.
 It, along with Winter Child, will be part of another Mini Review. :D

I got this from giveaway some time ago. It's going to be book number 2 in my January Mermaids. Haven't started it yet, but wil soon. :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment