Saturday, February 4, 2012

Contemporary February #3: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares


*CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Goodreads:
"I’ve left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.”

Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?


Review: Okay, first of all, this book was THE BEST!! Seriously, I mean, I was into it from the beginning. Only time I put it down was for homework (Gah!) and to sleep (not that I got much of it). It captivated me so much that by 12:30 (at night), I forced myself to put it down. Now, I maybe exaggerating a bit, this is how I feel.

First off, the notebook. At first, I thought it was going to be dare dares. Like, I dare you to this, dare you to jump off blah blah blah. But no, it was more like, “I dare you keep writing”. In the book, Lily and Dash write down their feelings and what they think on some topics and then ‘dared’ each other to get it to the next place. I thought this was a cute idea and a good way to get out their feelings of hurt and anger.
Dash and Lily’s relationship bloomed like most relationships should: over time. I hate that insta-love crap. Sure, they did it mostly through a notebook, but that’s what makes it cute.

Problem: The Families.
Mostly Lily’s. Dash’s I understand. Parent’s split, Dad and Mom get with new people, Dad’s doesn’t talk much to kid and doesn’t really want him in a way, both go on vacations without kid because kid lies and says he’s staying with the other. I really don’t like Dash’s dad. When the fiasco about kid abuser and baby stealer (long story) came up, his dad didn’t even call him to ask if he was okay, except to see if he need a lawyer.

Lily’s family is okay. I have to say, part of her oversensitivity for most of her life I blame on the parents. I bet they sheltered her too much. Yes, go to Fiji on the honeymoon you never had since you got married young instead of waiting until after you got money to raise kids. Yes, don’t tell your kid that you may be moving there because of a job offer. Yes, let her spend Christmas alone. GAH! HATE PARENTS LIKE THAT! Especially when they are thinking about moving their only kid (that’s not in college) away from the only home she’s know. Plus, they still treat her like a kid. And by ‘they’, I mean everyone in her idiotic family. Example, when her brother got sick, she told her parents. Mom asks if he gets sicker, can she call the doctor. WELL, OF COURSE SHE CAN!! SHE’S SIXTEEN FOR HEAVEN’S SAKE!! And her grandpa, who says she can’t go out alone and blah blah blah. And it doesn’t help that her dad’s the VP of her school, and like she said, “Who really want to be friends with the vice principal’s daughter?” If you get her anger, you fail! GAH! Brother’s an idiot. I get it; yes, he’s in love again after a harsh breakup, but that doesn’t give him the write to ignore his sister when she needs him the most, AND ON CHRISTMAS!!! Thank God she had other relatives who were more supportive.

Second Problem (not a big one at least): Language.
In the book, Dash doesn’t have the cleanest mouth. He says the f-bomb once or twice, and then all the other curse words like ‘damn’ and ‘shit’. I just don’t like it how he uses it in front of Lily, who never said a cuss word in her life. The closest she got to saying was not verbally, but just flipping off her brother.

Main Characters:

Lily: Pure as the driven snow, she doesn’t really cuss or do bad things. She’s the epitome (vocab word! Take that Mrs. Pascal! (definition: perfect example)) of the good girl, except she’s overly sensitive, which, like I said before, I think is because of her horrid parents. Anyway, I believe she’s the character that changes the most. I’m not going to say how, but she does. Last thing, she’s a good soccer player. :D

Dash: Kinda arrogant, impatient, and pushy, but he’s a boy. In the book, Lily’s family describes him as “snarly”, when I think it’s just witty sarcasm/humor. Though he could be thought of as just a typical teenage boy dealing with divorced parents and a distant dad, he’s very deep. Some of things he writes are very deep, and you can see a side of him that doesn’t come out. I love guys like this. :D

Other characters:
For the ones that supported Dash and Lily’s adventure, Lily’s relatives and Dash’s friends, they are awesome.
For those who didn’t: Dash’s dad, Lily’s parents and grandpa, they suck.

Future: Well, the book is just a stand alone, but both authors have written more books like this one that I will definitely be reading. :D

Quotes:

You’re being silly,” I [Dash] assured her.
“Lily is the greatest girl who ever was.”
I drew closer. “Lily is the greatest girl who ever was.”
For a moment, I think we’d forgotten where we were. Pg. 221

“Cinderella was such a dork.” Lily, pg. 136

“It wasn’t so much about plot. It was much more about character.” Dash, pg. 198

Song: Okay, while I read this, I started to listen to Glee's version of We Found Love by Rihanna. I thought the song went perfectly with the book. Sure, the "hopeless place" isn't all true, but in a way, it is because both are without anyone on Christmas in a way.  



Over all, this book had me captivated from page 1. Twists and turns with the great red note book were entertaining and fun. And the characters were crafted perfectly.

This, my friends, will be one of the only books I reread again.


Rating:
The Big Kahuna

Cover:
Seriously, look at it. I love that the street signs have the title and the authors' names on them, and the heart in the crosswalk sign is amazing. And since the book takes place around Christmas time, and what better than to have snow falling, but even better, heart shaped snow!

Ending:
Love stories are the best.



*Christmas gift from Mom. :D Thank you!



Keep On Reading!




Up Next:


I believe the one to the left is the US cover, and the one to the right is the UK cover. That or it's the paperback version, but I doubt it. :D


0 comments:

Post a Comment