Monday, February 20, 2012

Contemporary February #6: Ditched: A Love Story


*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Goodreads: High school senior Justina Griffith was never the girl who dreamed of going to prom. Designer dresses and strappy heels? Not her thing. So she never expected her best friend, Ian Clark, to ask her. Ian, who promised her the most amazing night at prom. And then ditched her.


Okay, first, before the review. 1: Sorry I'm getting this up late. I finished the book last Sunday and never got time to review because my English teacher is evil and assigns 5 chapters a night or so to read. 2: I honestly don't think I'm going to finish all my contemporary novels in February unless some miracle happens. So, I'll probably go into March and make March: Contemporary/Dystopian March. :D
 
 
Review: In the book, Justina (which, I'm sorry, I'm not a fan of the name. Justina? Really?) suddenly realizes she has feelings for her best friend, Ian, and when he asks her to prom, she accepts. Lucky her huh? Well, a few things go wrong, and somehow, she ends up in the ditch not far from a 7 Eleven. Once there, she spills what happened to her to two nice women, Gilda and Donna. I would never talk to strangers about my personal problems, but in this case, since it was two women, in a convincent store, with cameras, and these women have experience with boys, then I find that acceptable.
In the book, each chapter flashes back and forth from Justina's night before she started telling her story to the present when she actually is. One thing about this book I found somewhat annoying was how long the chapters telling her prom night were. I'm not a fan of extremely long chapters. Anyway, I really did like it though for each chapter, there would be a picture and a stain. Now, each stain represents a part of Justina's night. For example, the first stain, yellow curry, happened when Ian came to pick her up in her all, MATCHING BLUE outfit (which I think was stupid on the mom's part).  I thought this was awesome. Each one with a story of its own. many were very funny.

Characters: Main
Now, Justina herself was an interesting character. At first, when I read she wore only black, I was thinking "What? Then why is she going to prom? And what up with the daisies in her room? She's NOT Emo?!" Okay, I know I'm stereotyping here, but seriously, how many people do you know in high school that wear all black without some indication of goth or anything like that? Not many. But, in Justina's case, she wears it because some of the bitchy girls in her school got their clothes donated to one of the discount stores where Justina buys clothes, and she showed up one day to school in a totally cute outfit that some girl asked why she was wearing 'her' top. I hate girls like that. Gag me fake. But they daisies, who knows.
Justina's a personality all in herself. She and her best friend, Hailey, went around and had a kissing game to see who kiss the most boys. That reputation followed her and her friend. Now, on the day she met Ian (no, they weren't best friends since 8th grade. more like junior year), she stopped because some jerk.......let's just leave it at that. Anyway, she comes off as a person who doesn't care but does, and one that you wouldn't expect to go to prom and have a secret crush on her best friend all because of a green shirt. :D I know right?
Ian is boyfriend material. Even says so in the boo----pg 62. He's sweet and kind and handsome and all those good things girls wish in their boyfriends. Well, after getting a call from a friend (aka, Justina's mom) about her dog getting swapped with someone else's (because of some stupid tradition the boys of her school have), he leaves prom (NOT LYING!) and gets more calls and Justina ends up thinking he ditched her. I mean, who wouldn't. Plus, he called her 'enemy', Allyson rather than her. Yeah, looks bad huh? Right. Well, don't let that fool ya. Despite all the craziness and rather unfortunate events, Ian turns out to be a good guy in the end.
Other characters? Well, most were strange and somewhat wise, some bitchy, and some that were complete idiots, like Dan, who's an ass. (Pardon my french).

Future:
I think it's just a stand alone, but I think there could be spin-offs from this story. It's going to be interesting to see what Mellom (At first, I thought it was Mellam) does.

No quotes this time.

This is a cute contemporary novel about crushes and prom; two things perfect for each other. If you like cute contemporary novels, this is the book for you.


Rating:

Cover:
Okay, despite the God awful dress, I do like the cover. The rose Ian gave her matches her all blue outfit. If you look closely, you can see the stains from each event that happened that night. And the sleeves! Now they just make the dress complete and horrible to fit the description of a second-hand store dress. (Yes, that is where she and her mom bought the dress.)

Ending:
Despite everything, end was awesome.


*I traded a book for this book. No review necessary.



Keep On Reading!



Up Next (and actually reading right now):
This book and it's predecessor are like the story of my life, except without the totally hot Latin boy and an extremely close rich friend with a mansion to burn down.  :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment