Sunday, July 15, 2012

Review: Crossed


WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS

Rules Are Different Outside The Society

Chasing down an uncertain future, Cassia makes her way to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky--taken by the Society to his sure death--only to find that he has escaped into the majestic, but treacherous, canyons. On this wild frontier are glimmers of a different life and the enthralling promise of a rebellion. But even as Cassia sacrifices every thing to reunite with Ky, ingenious surprises from Xander may change the game once again.


  Narrated from both Cassia's and Ky's point of view, this hotly anticipated sequel to Matched will take them both to the edge of Society, where nothing is as expected and crosses and double crosses make their path more twisted than ever.

Review:

Plot: I have to say, I was kinda disappointed with this book. I was hoping for some action between Cassia and Ky and the Society. But no. I didn't. The book itself is like a diary of Ky and Cassia's journey to join the Rising and to find each other. Sure, there were complications along the way, but no real action. It was mostly their thoughts about the Rising and each other.

There were points when I thought the Society was actually going to come and there be some big brawl between Ky and an Official and he accidently kills him/her, but no. In the book, it just talked about how the Society could show up at any minute, even though they never did. As a fan of action and susupense, despite my feeling towards the first book, this book was lacking both.

One thing I do have to complement Ally is her creation of the world of Crossed. Very detailed, and from all the reading, I felt like I should have been reading this book in the Grand Canyon. That or in a deserrt in Arizona. And she took some of our history and incorporated it into the story. Example: the cave drawings of the farmers.

One last thing about the plot: There were many secrets that came out during this book. Why Society is trying to kill off Aberrations; Ky's past; and a secret Xander is hidding from Ally until they see each other again. That I liked. It created some tension between the group. Ky thought that if Cassia knew, then she would choose him over her.

Characters: Cassia in this book changes a bit. She's more determined to start making her own choices, and sees the Rising as a way to help her. She get what her Grandfather was trying to tell her. Ky is still Ky, but he's kept so much of his past bottled up that this trip gets to his head and he tries to let go of the past but can't.

Eli's role in the story was kinda pointless. He was just there as someone Ky knew if he left behind, he wouldn't have been any better than Society. He was someone that reminded him of Bram. But despite his pointless role, I do like him. He's sweet. Same with Vick, though he was the only friend Ky had for the first part of the book. Now Indie, I just hated her. Her character was more focused on find the Rising and joining to get revenge on the Society. Along the way, she took from Cassia and was a bitch. Maybe not in Cassia's eyes, but in mine, she was. I see no true point on why she was in the story except to help Cassia reach the Rising. If I was Ally, I would have had Cassia go at it alone and then have a miracle happen and she reach Ky on her own. I'd kick Indie's character to the curb. I hated her.

Romance: Despite the distance, Ky and Cassia still love each other. But then there's Xander, still lingering in the backs of their minds. As much as I hate love triangles, this was one that I have to give props to. Cassia wasn't one of those girls who was constantly fighting with herself to pick and Xander and Ky weren't constantly at odds, trying to outwit each other. Cassia and Ky loved each other, but they knew Xander was out there still. And Indie being in love with Xander. That's just crap. She'd have to look at his profile every night and try to talk to him and other crap to be in love with him. Like I said, her character: stupid!

Ending: Of course they're going to be split up and then reunited together a bit later. Of course their going to take down the Society from the inside. And of course, there's going to be trouble. Blah blah blah. Maybe it's because I read Pandemonium that I wish the ending was a bit different. Sure, Leah didnt' take down the her world yet, but she was on the inside. I dont' know.

Future: Reached, last novel of the Matched Trilogy. (Note: I do not like the name of the last book. It's stupid. Matched and Crossed were good names. Reached isn't. Sorry, that's how I feel.)

Quotes:

Cassia's thoughts
"I climb into the dark for you
Are you waiting in the stars for me?" pg. 118

Ky and Cassia
"'You're here," he says, breathing hard and hungry. Sweat and dirt cover his face, and he looks at me as though I'm the only thing he ever needed to see.
"I open my mouth to say yes. But I only have time to breathe in before he lcoes teh last of the distance. All I know is the kiss." pg. 194

Rating & Ending:
Cover:
I like how she's breakign out of the ball that contains her, symbolizing Cassia's break from the Society and the Rising's rising.

*Won this book

Keep On Reading!

Up Next:
Come on. You can not tell me that the cover on the right is sooo much cooler than the one on the left. Honestly! And doesn't she remind you of Katniss?! She does to me. :D I can't to review it for you guys. :D


2 comments:

  1. I didn't really like Matched (actually, scratch that. I SERIOUSLY disliked it--it was just a stupid excuse for a series built on nothing but a love triangle), but I did reserve Crossed in the library...because of the cover. Cover love will be the death of me some day, seriously.

    I'm glad you liked it, and I hope you enjoy the third one even better despite quibbles about the name. Anyway, great review and have you seen that cover for Reached? It's GORGEOUS >___>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have been wondering whether or not to read this series for a while now.. think I'll give it a go :) It was the quotes you mentioned that swayed me!

    ~New follower~
    -Laura
    What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete