Thursday, July 5, 2012

Review: Obsidian


WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS

Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don't kill him first, that is.

Review:

When I first hear about this book, I had my reserves about it. It didnt' sound interesting, and the Half-Blood series didn't sound interesting either. It was like Twilight, but aliens. But then, this book blew up the entire blogovsphere, and then I read more about it, and when I learned that I won it, I screamed. This book....wow..... a lot of words could describe it, but just wow. If you havent' read this yet, go out and get your hands on a copy soon. Five star right here.

Plot: So, Katy, our main character, moves next door to Daemon and his sister, Dee, and because Dee wants to be friends, she gets mixed up in to all of their alien mojo. Soon, she gets this trace accidently put on her by Daemon when he saved her life. Now the Arum, evil aliens, are trying to find them and are close to finding Daemon and the rest of the Luxen in the area. They have to get the trace off of her before they kill every Luxen and her.

So, I love the idea of these aliens. Can control light, are made of light, and move other things around. This is the first alien book I've read, and I was very happy it was. And instead of the Government not knowing about them, they pay for everything they do! Top secret. And since it was good vs. evil in this book, there had to be the evil ones, the Arum. Oh, and after watching a lot of sci-fi crap for years with my dad, it was nice to read about a hot alien. :D Oh, and I can't tell you how many times the gang got close to being safe, but then somehow it got screwed up. Twists and turns and all their glory. With it came angry, frustration, romance, and some funny arguments that I loved to reread. Yes, this book will make you laugh. Daemon mostly.

The only problem I had with this book is that it kinda reminded me of Twilight. New girl in town; falls for the wrong guy, who is a paranormal, supernatural being; sister who tries to be social with others; kinda overprotective of her; being with her endangers her and everyone around her....Blah blah blah. The only difference is that their love isn't that crappy insta-love. Sure, they admit that they like each other, but they aren't together. Daemon tries to tell her he wants to be with her and that the bond isn't why. Yeah....but I still loved the book.

Characters: The characters are hilarious. All of us know Daemon, the arrogant, hot, and somewhat of a jerk, is, well, hot. Dee is very up beat, wanting a normal friend for once. She hates that they have to hide, but they know it's for the better. But Katy, now Katy, she has to be one of my favorite characters in YA ever. Why?
Katy is a book blogger just like me and everyone out there. She loves books. She's also determined and strong and doesn't take crap from Daemon, no matter what he does. She is me as a fictional character. I honestly wish I was her. Sure, I don't want her fried computer, but I do want her life. I already have the small town, but I would love to live next to aliens (though sometimes I think I do). She's hilarious, mostly when she's mad at Daemon. The comedy between them never ended.

Romance: Katy and Daemon are attracted to each other. They can't be together because of the whole alien thing and the Arum. There was a lot of tension, teasing, and arguments between these two that it wasn't hard to hope that they get together in the end. And their scenes together when they weren't killing each other, one can only wish that those moments happened to them.

Ending: It was a happy one. Except the little twist that happened to Katy. Now, I can't wait for Onyx. And I got a sneak peek of it in the back of this book. I loved the first two chapters.

Other thing I want to point out: The scenes in Daemon's POV, I LOVED IT!! Mostly Chapter 8 and 28. They were so sweet. And if you go to Goodreads to the list where is list all the books in the Lux series, you can find Chapter 26, the hot and steamy scene, in his POV. Link is right here.

Future: Onyx is coming out this August!

Quotes:

"'I like to watch you blush.' His voice barely above a murmur as his thumb traced circles on my cheek." pg. 75 


Rating, Cover, & Ending:

I debated on whether or not to give The Big Kahuna Award to this book, but the Twilight thing is kinda bring the book down for me, so they just get five shells. But it's still a favorite of mine. :D

And Daemon on the cover, yeah, who wouldn't want to own that piece of hunk.
Here's the other cover.

*I won this book. No review necessary.

Keep On Reading!

Up Next:
Already started it. Not far into it, but it's good so far. :D


2 comments:

  1. I love love LOVE that Katy is a book blogger too -- I don't think there's ever been a heroine like her in existence, but she has some major support around the blogosphere and I would love to read about her all day long! She gives us hope that all of us book bloggers have the possibility of meeting awesome aliens like Daemon, right? x)

    Awesome review, Tarte! I can't wait to read Onyx too! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that Katy's a book blogger. JLA is always talking about how she wouldn't be the writing powerhouse that she is if it wasn't for us bloggers, and this was her little tribute to us! It was absolutely amazing <3 I love the romance and Daemon's thoughts thrown in. I was able to obtain an eARC of Onyx and it drove me insane! It's a PDF file, so I'm counting down the days that I can buy a physical copy to put on my shelf. Trust me, the series just keeps getting better!

    ReplyDelete