Saturday, September 15, 2012

Review: Nerve by Jeanne Ryan

 
WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS
 
A high-stakes online game of dares turns deadly.
When Vee is picked to be a player in NERVE, an anonymous game of dares broadcast live online, she discovers that the game knows her. They tempt her with prizes taken from her ThisIsMe page and team her up with the perfect boy, sizzling-hot Ian. At first it's exhilarating--Vee and Ian's fans cheer them on to riskier dares with higher stakes. But the game takes a twisted turn when they're directed to a secret location with five other players for the Grand Prize round. Suddenly they're playing all or nothing, with their lives on the line. Just how far will Vee go before she loses NERVE?

Review: I know it took me forever to get to this, but I had a massive English essay I couldn't figure out that took forever. Thank God I finished it on time! So, here's my review. :D

Plot/Setting: The world of Nerve took me by surprise. I didn't expect it to be just a game of dares. Well, yeah, I did, but I thought the book was going to be more on the side of dystopia. I didn't expect to be just a girl playing a deadly game. There were some aspects of the book that made it seem like a dystopian, like the evil game keepers, controlling everything and every dare, and the Watchers. (Kinda like the Hunger Games.) If you read and then examined it, you could say Nerve is a dystopian in the present.

The whole book takes place over a couple of days. Three or four days tops. The two/three days is for a play and the preliminary dares that Vee takes part in. The last day is for the live-round dares. Books like this, where the book takes place over only a few days, I feel they are rushed. The overall plot was good. I was on edge at each dare. "Oh my God, what's going to happen? NO! Don't do it!" I was like this the entire time. But I still felt rushed. Each dare happened one after the other. I wish it was slower. I don't know......

Characters:
Vee: a typical girl who likes to be in the background, working behind the scenes but played Nerve to have some spotlight.

Ian: cute charmer with a hidden secret that he needs Vee to help defeat.

Tommy: the backstabber. The shocking backstabber. I hated that it was him. But I would have never had guessed it.

Sydney: typical best friend of the geek that likes the lime light.

Honestly, the characters aren't out of the ordinary, but they aren't boring. Vee and Ian doing the dares made them interesting. Vee coming out of her comfort zone gets a thumbs up. But overall, I wasn't extremely wowed by any of them. Tommy, I was just pissed at.

Romance: It wasnt' the crappy insta-love that all of us know, but at the same time it was. i think it was the adrenaline rush of the game that made Ian and Vee kiss game night and later start to date. Vee's thing with Tommy: rooting for him in beginning, GO IAn in the end.

Ending: Totally shocking. I'd figured Vee would stop and forget about Nerve, not try to put an end to it. And the the ending pages: O.M.G. Never saw it coming.

Future: Right now, unknown, but wouldn't be shocked if there was a sequel.


Rating:
 
Cover:
I get that Vee's in pain and is yelling because she's mad, but I don't get all the blue and the stripes and blah.
 
Ending:
 
 
*won this book
 
 
Keep On Reading!
 
 
Up Next:
Finished. Review to come soon!
 
Up Next:
Have started. It's fairly good so far. :D
 
 
 

1 comments:

  1. I blog quite often and I truly thank you for your content.
    This article has truly peaked my interest. I am going to book mark your website and keep checking
    for new details about once a week. I opted in for your RSS feed too.


    Feel free to surf to my webpage ... kostenlos book of raw spielen

    ReplyDelete