Friday, November 4, 2011

The Scorpio Races review


*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*
Goodreads: It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.

Review:
Okay, I have to say, this book has to be one of the BEST books I've ever read.
1: I'm not a fan of Insta-Love. I believe love should develope over time. (Why do you think dating was invented?) I love it how Puck and Sean's relationship developed over time. Spoiler: It wasn't until towards the end of the book that Sean and Puck started feeling something for each other after they spent some time together.
2: Water horses. When I think of them, I think of the movie the Water Horse. (Great movie by the way.) Then I look at the book. These water horses, or capaill uisce, vicious. Sean's father got ripped off his horse by one of these man-eating beast. Seriously. The horse bit into his shoulder and pulled him off his horse and then half way tore of his arm. Then he was trampled to death by the other racers and their horses. As incredible as one of these creatures sounds, I wouldn't really want to get close to one.
3: I lied. I would get close to one. But I would only do it because of the reason or a different reason like Puck. I admire Puck's bravery. The races were the first thing that came to her mind when her brother Gabe told them that he was leaving. I also admire the fact she didn't give up after her first time on the beach.
4. When I read this book, I felt like I was back in the olden days. Women wore only dresses and men wore the pants in the family. Women didn't do certain things (like ride in the races) and men bossed them around. I don't know. I just got that feel from the book. Maybe it was because Thisby and Skarmouth sound like old Irish or Scottish names. And from the book, it sounded like it took place in Ireland or Scottland since it said many of the tourists were from America or the main land. Also, it said the island didn't get any activity in the winter since it's so cold, so I assume it's up north.
5. I really don't like it that Maggie made it so BOTH of Puck's parents died. I was so sad when I read it. :(
Characters:
Puck (Kate): Brave. Average. Hard-working. Stubborn. The best words to describe her.
  • Brave for actually riding in the races.
  • Average because Maggie describes her as "nothing too special--slight, with a giner ponytail" (99). At the end of the book she proves beyond that.
  • Hard-working because even though her brother is leaving, she makes sure she finds a way to get money to pay for the house. Second, she trains Dove to the best of her ability so she can win. Thirdly, after the races, she goes out and finds a job. She does everything in her power to make money and keep her family well fed and safe.
  • Stubborn because not matter how much people try, she doesn't give in and quit.
Finn: A regular young teenager. He's just a kid wanting to get through life without bring up the horrors of what happened to his family or the fact his only brother is leaving them. The only thing I found weird about him is his handwashing. He has to keep going and going until past the point I think he's strubbed off most of his skin. I think it's the mechanic in him. He works with tools all day and he wants all of the germs and grease off his hands so he can eat food instead of grease.
Gabe: In a way, he's selfish and caring. Selfish for leaving. Caring because he does stay until after the races and 2: he plans on sending back money for them. I also think he's very troubled. Maggie wrote: "I can't bear it anymore." I think she means by this is that he can't stand that there's nowhere for him to move forward from where he's at. A hotel employee that helps with fish and other random odd jobs. Also that he can't bear the fact his parents are gone wants to leave. I feel sorry for him, but I also think he's a jackwagon for not telling Puck and Finn about the house bill and how it hasn't been paid in a whole year.
Sean: Quiet. Reserved. He's one of those guys that just wants to get through life doing what he loves without some jerk complicating things for him. I like how he's so loyal to Corr, his horse, and that he doesn't put up with his boss's kid's crap and does what he has to do to keep his job. Puck and him are an interesting pair. Both are quiet, but she's more stubborna and has a free spirit where he is a little set back, and he doesn't show his emotions well. I'm happy that he opens up in the end when he finally admits he really likes Puck.
Mutt: Not going to even bother. Hate him.
Mr. Malveren: Typical businessman. Making sure his business is running smoothly. Making sure that people who live in his houses paid the bill. In a way, he's the ruler of Thisby since he owns much of it.
George Holly: He's interesting. Just an American there to buy a horse. Very wealthy. And he seems to get Sean. I love him. :D
Thomas Gratton and his wife Peg: nice couple that seem like Puck's and her brother's godparents.
Father Mooneyham: Regular Catholic preist.
The Maud Sisters: Intersting ladies. One's nearly blind. The other likes to sleep around. The other is like a mother to all of them. Their shop: Fathom & Sons; also interesting name. They have no sons, and I don't get the Fathom part. Oh well.
Gabe's Friends Tommy and Beech: Beech? Strange name. Otherwise, just teenage boys ready to leave and start a new life. It's sad that Tommy dies.
Malvern's horse grooms: In the book, not many are mention but a few. Most are loyal to Mutt because they're scared of them, but some are loyal to Sean.

Horses:
Corr: A red horse? I would love to see that beauty. He has the spirit of the November sea in him. Strong and fast. Perfect racing horse. A water horse.
Dove: Small. "Dull" according to Sean, but I think the brown that Maggie describes her as is pretty. Shy and scared of the water, but what land horse wouldn't be.
Together? In the book, Maggie makes Corr interested in Dove, but not as a meal, but as a mate. I find that cute. I think that if they got together, their foals would be a dark red. I also find it funny that Corr acted like an idiot for Dove. How sweet!
(There are other horses, like the piebald, but there's not much to tell except that the rest are very dangerous.)

Future: I don't know if Maggie plans on doing a sequel for the book, but if she did, can see it set in the future. Puck and Sean have married, Finn has a girlfriend, and Gabe is married to someone on the main land. I can see Puck and Sean have at least one if not two kids. Sean still races. Puck used to until the kids came along. The story would be about one of their kids races in the races and her going against the males again. But this time, the guy/love interest would be like the other guys and not want her to race. Puck and Sean coach her not to give up and fight for what she wants. If it's a guy, then it would be about his training for the races with his dad and Sean telling him about his racing.


READ THIS BOOK! IT'S WONDERFUL!


5 shells
Cover: 5 shells

 
Ending: 5 shells



Note: I didn't receive this book in exchange for a review. I bought it. AMAZON!


Keep On Reading!
 


Up next:



0 comments:

Post a Comment