Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sweet Venom review

*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*
Goodreads: Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.


Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.
Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.
These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.

Review: Okay, before you ask, when I finished this book, I had finally reviewed Forgive My Fins because I had so much English homework (3 projects and an essay!). Anyway, I really liked this book. Just like her other books, Tera captivates her readers on each page. SPOILER I love how she twist the tale of Medusa around so instead of a monster she's just a victium of a very jealous goddess (though I can't picture Athena jealous of anyone). I liked how she had Grace and Gretchen narrate most of the novel and have a few chapters for Greer. I hope she has more in the next book. And I have to say, next to Quince, Nick is right up there. :D
Characters:
  • Gretchen: I have to say, I have a tiny bit of her in me. Fight monsters sounds awesome but terrifying. Anyway, she's interesting. I hate it that her adopted parents pushed her to try to be perfect, and I'm happy she ran away. She found someone better: Ursula. Her attitude towards other people (Grace and Greer) and the companionship they give (well, Grace anyway) is typical of someone who's used to being on her own all the time. I’m happy Gretchen opens up and lets According to some books she has (and she has a lot of them), the Gorgons each had some special power. SPOILER: Hers—super strength and speed.
  • Grace: Very happy and optimistic. She sees the best in people. She has to be my favorite. Not only is she brave, but she’s into computers like me. (Yes, I’m kinda a computer geek, but only with software and graphics and all that good stuff. Nothing internal.) I see a lot of me in her. The only different is that she’s so shy. Sure, I was too when I was younger, but I have a lot of friends now. She doesn’t have a back bone until she meets Gretchen, which is a relief. Her newly required back bone gives her the strength to stand up against the stupid mean girl, Miranda. Plus, the way she wants her sisters to stick together even if they don’t get along is aspiring. GO GRACE!!! SPOILER: Her power—autoport (a.k.a.-teleporting)
  • Greer: Okay, I’m going to be stereotyping here: Selfish, preppy, popular, high society girl who only sees what’s in front of her. Yet, I’m kinda shocked that she not one of the stupid ones. She’s the president of some Alumnae Tea Club (which I think is just some special tea party), a very well liked girl in her junior class, and she gets good grades. Wow. I have a bit of her, I’m leader in my school as VP of our SADD club, Student Council Member, and Secretary of my class, but that’s it. I like it that she’s fashionable, and goal oriented, but not the fact she’s kinda a snob. SPOILER: Her power—second sight/sixth sense.
  • Thane: Not much about him; just that he’s really quiet, he was adopted at an older age, and not sure what he wants to do in life. In the books, he’s very protective of Grace, especially when it comes to his friend Milo. The only thing he knows for sure is that he wants to play soccer.
  • Milo: Speaking of him, he’s a really sweet guy. It’s evidenced in the beginning he likes Grace and she likes him, but he’s not sure what to do since Grace is his friend’s little sister. Can someone say awkward? Anyway, he plays soccer too, and a typical the boy-next-door type. Totally crush worthy.
  • Nick: Okay, I REALLY like him. Determined, smart, and caring. *Sigh* He’s number 2 Book Boyfriend. SPOILER: I’m kinda happy that Tera decided to give Gretchen a love interest, even though she tries to push him away because of what she does. I can say that she does have every right too, but I’m happy he doesn’t listen to her and keeps on going. :D He’s a trooper!

Other Characters-I liked them.
  • Ursula was a good supporting character in spirit since she doesn't make much of an appearance.
  • Kyle is okay for a boyfriend for Greer. She can do better.
  • Parents are okay for Grace.
  • Ms. West and Mrs. Mota are good teachers.
Other things: I want to address Greer's mom. Either she is very cold hearted or she is a descendant of the Gorgons. SPOILER: In part, Greer describes a time when she thought she saw a monster in her room. She went to her mom and her mom told her she will never see monsters again. And true to her word, Greer never did until her sisters came around. I think that her mom is all of the girls' mom, and that when they all meet, it will be VERY awkward.

Future: SPOILER: In the book, Tera says the girls are part of the Key Generation, and that they have to break the seal on the gates to stop the monsters. I think the next book, Sweet Shadows, will be about the girls training together, getting Ursula back, trainning with Ms. West (NOT telling why), their relationships with all the guys (I hope Greer finds someone else like Thane), and all of them meeting Greer's mom.


Rating
Cover
Ending


(Though I hated the cliffhanger)


Note: I didn't get this book in exchange for a review. I got it because I won it. Thank you A Book Lovers Review


Keep On Reading!



Up next:

Actually, I'm almost done with it. :D I love it so far.

1 comments:

  1. I've heard of Sweet Venom. The book sound quite interesting although I don't read these kinds of books. Great review! Thank you for sharing it!! ^_^

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete