Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Goddess Test review

*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!*

Goodreads: It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

Review: Okay, when I first saw this book, I was like: GREEK BOOK! MUST READ! And when i read it, my Greek Geek was satisfied. The overall plot was different. I would never think of killing off Persephone since she's one of my favorites, but her being gone and the tests are impressive.
The Eden Manor I have to say was clever for the place where the test would take place. Perfect for anything.
Oh, and I like how Aimee did point out that their are actually 14 gods. I don't get why people don't count Hades and Dionysus as part of the major gods. Hades is the ruler of the Underworld FOR PETE'S SAKE!
There was only a few things I didn't like about the book:
  1. I thought it was a little too fast paced. I thought the author kinda jumped right into Kate's destiny and the tests in all. I think there should have been a bit more with Kate and her mom before she went to the manor, like her mom trying to tell her about Eden and other things. I dont' know, it might just be me.
  2. I thought some of the characters' roles should have been switched. SPOILER! At the end of the book, there is a list of who is which god. Some of the characters like Dylan and Theo. I feel that Dylan should have been put in charge of the guard.
  3. Calliope. As much as I thought she was a nice person, her role in this story is just weird. I don't know, maybe it's me and my obsession for Rick Riordan's version of her, but I just don't like her role. It was interesting to read. :D
Characters:
  • Kate: In some parts, I thought she was a whiny, love-sick girl, but later on she proved to be a strong, level headed girl that cared about others more than herself.
  • Henry: Okay, I thought he was a little too depressed, protective, and dark in some parts. Yet, as the book progress, he turns around, but he still is a bit sad. He's part in the Hades and Persephone myth changes in this book and I like it, though it makes Persephone seem like a stupid little kid.
  • Ella: You would NOT want this chick for a personal dresser. Caring and strong, she represents her goddess fairly well, except for the clothes part.
  • Ava: Just like the goddess herself, she is a people person in love with boys and clothes. :D
  • Theo: It was strange to learn about who he represented. But then again, Rick's version of this guy is different from Aimee's. It was strange, but refreshing to see him as a focused and determined and thoughtful guy instead of the fun, easy going god. But I have to say, and this is a SPOILER: I would pick him over Xander.
  • Xander: He's godly personality is so different from what I thought it would be. In the book, he's a guard, but when you learn who he really is, it's like: WTF, that doesn't seem like him at all!
  • James: I feel sorry for him. Sure, he and Kate only knew each other for a bit before she went to Eden, but he still was her best friend in a way. He took her to the hospital and stayed with her and helped her around. And then to learn who he actually is! OMG! I would have never had guessed it.
  • Philip: I'm a big fan of this god. Kinda wish he was my actually dad (I'm adopted. Don't worry, love my adopted dad tood). It's kinda strange to see him act the way he does in the book. I expected him to be the opposite: loud.
  • Irene: As a person, she sounds lovely. As a teacher, I'd probably fail her class.
  • Diana:LOVED HER! That's all I'm going to say. ;D
  • Dylan, Sofia, Walter, and Nicholas: Each did a fine job with their role in the book, though i wish their was a bit more of what they actually do in the book.
Favorite quote:
             "'Yeah,' I said. 'What kind of name is Diana for a goddess, anyway?'" Kate, page 282

Future:  I can't wait for Goddess Interrupted. I think that will be unique; it's plot kinda like the Percy Jackson series, but I'm not looking forward to reading about how Henry is distanting himself from Kate.
Here's the blurb and the pic:
Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2)Goodreads:
Kate Winters has won immortality.
But if she wants a life in the Underworld with Henry, she’ll have to fight for it.
Becoming immortal wasn’t supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she’s as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he’s becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate’s coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.
As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.
Henry’s first wife, Persephone.



See how it's kinda like the Percy Jackson series? If you don't, go pick up the series!

Second: Aimee announced a free novella called the Goddess Hunt, out on March 1, 2012.
Here's a bit about it:
"What does that mean? It means you won't have to wait so long for a new Goddess Test story. It means you'll get to see some of what happens during Kate's summer away. And it means you'll get to meet one of my favorite characters in The Goddess Test universe."
Aimee's exact words from her blog on goodreads. :D

Rating:
Cover:

Ending:



I forget how I got this book honestly. I believe I got it from Amazon.


Keep On Reading!



Up Next:

I am EXTREAMLY excited for this one. Ever since I saw the cover, I've been dying to read it. :D
THANK YOU MOM!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh I'm about to begin writing my review for The Goddess Test so this was a nice refresher. Glad you liked the book, I sure didn't :(

    Ana @ BookSpark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh by the way are you in the Harlequin Teen Panel? That's how you might have received your copy (that's how I did!). It's my first book from the program too xD

    ReplyDelete